Reducing the number of abandoned carts in Shopify stores is a great challenge for all dropshippers.
You wouldn't be surprised how much money ecommerce stores lose from abandoned carts alone.
A recent investigation carried out by Business Insider It showed that nearly $5 trillion worth of merchandise is abandoned just because the majority of customers weren't ready to make a purchase.
SMS marketing for dropshipping is the solution to reduce abandoned carts since you can't eliminate them completely
Abandoned Cart Recovery for Shopify Dropshipping Stores
When you stop following up with your client, they may never come back.
A customer may not always abandon their cart because they changed their mind, but perhaps due to service, miscommunication, lack of information provided, lack of trust, and other issues that arise.
Based on dynamic performance, ecommerce brands lose almost $20 billion of sales revenue per year for abandoned carts alone. So now you understand why it's important to always follow up.
Here are some reasons why recovering an abandoned cart can benefit the customer:
- Improve the shopping experience – Communicating with your audience is one of the main keys to improving the customer journey to purchase. This is where it shows whether it is the same as the other dropshipping stores or not.
- Customer Trust – When you follow up with your customer, their trust will also increase. Communication is the key to building trust versus not following up at all.
- Quick Support – According to research by ClickZ, SMS marketing messages generated the 30% conversion rates just because they responded so well. This is much higher than not having it or following up via email.
- Increased Revenue: Because SMS text messages reduce abandoned carts for drop shipping, you'll also increase your revenue. This is where most eCommerce stores fail to deliver, failing to keep up with their most important asset, the customer.
How to Recover Abandoned Carts for Dropshipping?
We know it's not a pleasant experience to have an abandoned cart, so let's take a look at some ways to get it back:
1. Target the right niche
This may sound very obvious, but it is much more important than you think. A big reason many customers abandon their cart is that you may be targeting the wrong niche.
They may not realize it upon entering your site, but once they find out that you are not what they are looking for, the abandoned cart will never recover!
Always keep in mind who you are targeting and when you set up ads for the right niche, it will translate to fewer abandoned carts and more revenue. This is the main advice to recover abandoned carts.
2. Push notifications
A great track for abandoned cart recovery. You can also use a plugin to do this for you as it requires less effort.
With the plugin, you can choose what hours of the day they can work and how long it should last.
There are many different push notification plugins you can use that are great, here are a few of them:
- pushengage - One of the best push notification tools on the market. It allows you to connect directly with your visitors after they leave your site. You can use this plugin automatically or manually. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user, it is a perfect solution for both.
- onesignal : very popular and similar to PushEngage. You can use this plugin to create push notifications for abandoned carts, updates, push notifications, etc.
- iZooto - Offers many push and scheduled notifications. This plugin software allows you to customize all of your push notifications, which is nice if you're segmenting targeted messages.
3. Communicate personally
A legendary way to superior customer service is to personally reach out to your customer.
Plugins and software are good for doing your own job, but communicating in person is your golden ticket to reducing abandoned carts. You know your client more.
So the next time you see a customer leave their cart, go see what the reason was. It can help you in future ventures.
4. Encourage synchronization
If some of your customers change the platform they are shopping on, they may lose their cart. For example, if they switch from desktop to mobile, or vice versa.
By synchronizing accounts, you can add a consistent cart or persistent cart feature so your customers can save their items and always have them there, even if they switch platforms.
Steps on how to set up your cart recovery process in Shopify
You've read enough about why you should use SMS marketing in your dropshipping store, now it's time to implement cart recovery strategy.
It's not as complicated as it seems, so don't worry. Here are the steps:
Install an SMS marketing app
Here are some apps to consider:
Here you can find the list of Best Shopify Apps for Sales and Conversion Optimization .
Select a plan
Every SMS marketing app has a plan associated with it.
Some of the more basic plans may be free or may have a free trial. It's always good to try the test and then decide whether or not to continue.
The plans for each SMS marketing tool will show you what features the app has and start sending follow-up messages to shoppers about why they abandoned their carts.
Follow-up messages include templates like this:
“Hi Tony, I'm Jack from Dropshipping. I saw that you were looking for a phone case. Do you want me to help you check which phone case is right for you and even potentially get a discount? “
Do you have a lot of different templates that include answers to customer questions about how long a product will take to arrive? What kind of products are there? Will I get a discount? etc.
Many dropshipping companies fail because they will only include an FAQ tab and not answer questions.
Most customers hate this and will just run away when they can't reach you.
Optimize your payment
When you start collecting information from your customers, you want to be able to collect their phone numbers. Most plugins you install will have a “checkout” option, especially if you install it on Shopify.
All you have to do is go to the settings tab, look for where it says “payment” and then go to “customer contact”.
In this tab, you will have the opportunity to choose whether customers can pay by email or by phone number and email. Here's an example of what it looks like on Shopify:
You have more options to choose what type of information you want to collect, such as shipping address, company name, etc.
At the end, you can also go to the checkout language and choose which language you want to be displayed.
Your checkout page should contain useful information, here is an example of what it should look like:
Now you understand how important SMS marketing is for a dropshipping business. Income is an important thing to consider in a dropshipping business.
Before you go, check the list of Top 10 Shopify Tools for Dropshipping Stores .
Worried about any other mistakes you might make when starting a dropshipping business? You can check the article we wrote about how to avoid mistakes and pitfalls in dropshipping .